rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Heely's For Me

Did you know that Heely's makes adult sizes?! I didn't either until they sent me a pair to review. If you are thinking, what are Heely's? You know, it's the shoes you see kids rolling around the stores in.

I don't know why, but when I see kids rolling around in stores I get irritated. Am I jealous? Maybe. Was the first thing that came to my mind when I got my shoes was, now I can skate my grocery shopping to make it faster? Possibly.

So when I picked my style out of many, I got a pair that the boys would like too. Joe and I are nearly the same size so I thought it would be a double bonus for us.

This is our pair~

This is the Edge style. See how they are perfect for a 9 yr old boy and an adult girl! They are really good looking shoes, super comfortable and a sleek and simple style. I think it's the perfect style for rolling and every day wear.


What I thought somehow is that the wheel, which is under the heel (hence the name Heely), you can see it peeking under my right shoe, folded in and out.
When I saw kids using them it seemed they went so seamlessly from walking to floating across the ground.
Well the wheels don't fold in and out, you take them on and off. The floating part, and the seamless transition, that's just lots of practice.

This is what the shoe looks like without the wheel.


This is what you want when you are planning on just walking in your shoes. Maybe running errands first then heading to the park to have a roll. Grab the handy tool they send to pop out the black cap and pop in the wheel and you are good to go.



That part is super easy. There is no doubt when the wheel is locked in because it makes a deep pop sound. The not so easy part is rolling and getting the wheel out. Robert even has a hard time getting the wheels out. I assume it's a good thing in a way, I don't want to be rolling around and my wheel fall out. I guess everything comes with practice. I suggest that until you are solid in getting the wheel out, bring another pair of shoes to change into if you want regular shoes afterwards.

So to go from walking to rolling it's supposed to be a simple as lifting the front of your feet and glide along. 
Like this~



What happens in my home, Robert practically carries us from point A to point B. The manual says to practice by holding counters and such until you get the hang of it. It also says if you feel yourself falling, just put your toes back down.
Well in my panic mode that kicks in when the feeling of falling is eminent, does not allow me to put my toes down. Probably because I am falling backwards and my toes are knee height at that point.

Again, practice is important.
And helmets.

After becoming a Heely owner, I have a whole new respect for the kids that make it seem so easy. 

What I love about our new Heely's~
~the style
~the durability
~the concept of a versatile activity shoe

What I don't love about our new Heely's~
~how hard it is to get the wheel out
~they didn't come with coordination

I will keep at it though. My goal is to be able to glide along with the kids on their bikes. Until then Robert will carry  guide me along in my helmet and elbow gaurds.

Check them out for yourselves. You will be pleasantly surprised at the different styles availble. And  Heelys is throwing a Black Friday special!! Between Nov 25-Nov 28, Buy any pair of Heelys, get the second pair for $25. Or buy a Nano, and get a pair of shoes for $25, and get free ground shipping on all orders!
http://shop.heelys.com/

6 comments:

  1. Glad you are enjoying your Heely's..personally...they drive me nuts. And, they are banned in my school! We confiscate the wheels. LOL But, I have to say, I would love to see you trying to get the hang of them. All in all..they are very stylish! You should go to HH and try them down the hall :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dogs would love it if I could move a bit faster when we go for walks. Thanks for the information.

    Love,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm passing on the 'Tell Me About Yourself' Blog Award to YOU!

    Stop by to check it out and pass it on!

    Tessa
    thediaryofaworkingmother.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute kids! New follower....thanks for stopping by colleensbooknook!
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heely's for adults? Are you serious??? hahahaha! I wish I could show you the mental picture I have of all the SAHM's in the grocery store with those things on.

    So, let me ask you this.... Do you think the grocery stores would let us blast our tape decks in our carts, and throw a couple of strobe lights for a little flavor? And when you go around the corners of the aisles, can you do the cross-over skate? LOL! Maybe we could even find a way to incorporate a couple's skate? LOL!!!

    Ok, I should really cool it, you don't know my crazy sarcasm well enough yet ;)

    Let me just tell you tho.... I just got my son's very FIRST pictures back from school. And I am totally blogging about it soon....probably with a link back to your blog. I can't even believe they sent them home the way they turned out! :)

    I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jodi~ right now I still can't move in them, so it would be Robert hauling me down the halls!

    Tessa~ WOW! Thank you!

    Kelly~ My grocery store is insane enough much less if we add in moms in skates!
    What a bummer about your son's photo! Does he get a chance for retakes? I would be honored for a linkback to your story! Hopefully Joe's new pic will be back soon and I can have a good update.

    ReplyDelete