rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Inner Strength

I don't think there is a day that goes by that I have not been amazed by my boys inner strength and confidence. I don't mean in a show-off/cocky attitude way. I'm talking- this is what I like and I don't care what you think.

I was raised as a 'take me as I am' type of a person. You either laugh with me or leave. I want my kids to have that same sense of security in themselves.

They want a kitchen set, they get a kitchen set. They want to watch the latest princess movie, have at it. Mind you, I don't buy my kids everything they ask for, but I don't deny them something because it's not "boy" enough.

When they do show their 'who cares' side, I will let them know they may be teased and that they are stronger then that. I'll tell them why a person may tease them for a choice they made and how they could handle the situation. No matter what, if they are happy, who cares what the schmuck is saying.

A few examples of my boys.

This past winter we had a million gloves but I swear, no matching pair. Many times I could find my pretty, girly gloves, but not a single matching super hero. They would either wear mine or a mismatched pair and they couldn't see why anyone would care what their gloves looked like, much less tease them about it. Who cares what their gloves look like, their hands are warm.

Jake loves to make necklaces and bracelets with the prettiest colored beads he can find. He has his own stash of boondoggle beads, colored stones, tribal beads, snowflake beads, anything that catches his eye. He'll wear one of his many bracelets paired up with a boondoggle necklace. His latest find, a ghost necklace from Kohl's. Now when we go treasure hunting, he is hunting for a jewelry box. I suggested that a small toolbox would be neat. Nope, he wants a cool jewelry box.

Tinkerbell movies are awesome. Jake thinks they are funny and sweet. Joe thinks Tink is hot.

Joe loves to read teen magazines then tear out the posters and put them on his wall. He has everything from Taylor Swift to Justin Bieber; Harry Potter to Smurfs; Selena Gomez to Big Time Rush. Add those to all his Super Hero Squad decals and Jakes Buzz decor, their room is theirs and they are proud of it.

That should be all that matters at the end of the day. They are proud of what they have and what they have made of it.

Joe's newest adventure will be taking hip-hop lessons. Sign up is tonight! Excited isn't even close to the word that could describe him right now.

I am so proud of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment